I have a range of experience having worked in an NHS setting, a community counselling service, and private practice, providing both short-term and long-term counselling to clients aged 18 and over.
Prior to training as a counsellor I spent a number of years working with Samaritans as a listening volunteer.
My Approach to Counselling
I am an integrative relational counsellor, which means that I am trained in a number of therapeutic approaches which I can draw on to help you in the best way for you, with your unique circumstances, history and experiences. Central to the way I work is my belief in your uniqueness and your capacity to heal and to grow. You are the expert in yourself, and my role is to help you to explore what is troubling you so that you can make choices about your life, and find new ways to cope with difficulties. To support you in this, I aim to provide a safe and calm space for you to talk in confidence without being judged.
The relationship between us is an important part of the therapy; as we explore what has brought you into counselling you may also find that your experiences in the room with me mirror what happens outside, and we can look at this together to help you gain insight and move forward.
I have a particular interest in working with people who have issues with self-criticism, low self-esteem, shame, and low self-worth. I sometimes work with clients using mindfulness and Compassion Focused Therapy, which have been proven to be very effective in helping with these issues.
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
~ T. S. Elliot
What is Integrative Relational Counselling?
My approach integrates theory and practice from a number of modalities, primarily: Person-Centred, Psychodynamic and Gestalt. If you would like to find out about more please click here to visit the BACP Types of Therapy page.
Professional Qualifications and Membership
- BA Honours Degree in Integrative-Relational Counselling (Middlesex University)
- Certified Cyber Therapist (Online Therapy Institute)
- Certified Clinical Trauma Professional (PESI - Certified by Evergreen Certification)
- Compassion Focused Therapy - Introduction to Theory and Practice (Compassionate Mind Foundation)
- Levels 2 and 3 NCFE Counselling Skills
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (The Dialogue Consultancy)
- Moving Your Practice Online (Online Therapy Institute)
- I am a registered member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (MBACP), this means that I follow their professional code of ethics and good standards (click here to view the information about this on the BACP website).
- I am a registered member of the Association for Counselling and Therapy Online (ACTO) and adhere to their professional code of ethics. To view my ACTO directory page click here.
- I also hold a DBS certificate and I am registered with the ICO.
- I have regular supervision to ensure that my practice complies with the professional standards set out by the BACP, and I am committed to attending regular training to ensure my continued professional development.