Certified Cyber Therapist
Registered member of ACTO - the Association for Counselling & Therapy Online
What is online counselling?
Online counselling enables you to have therapy using technology such as video, telephone and email (rather than in person).
Why have counselling online?
Online therapy is a good option for many people. Here are some of the reasons why people opt for online counselling:
- Time... when you have counselling online you can do it from a place that's convenient for you which means that you don't have to allow time for travelling to and from the counselling appointment
- Privacy... you may prefer to have counselling from the privacy of your own home, rather than being seen visiting a therapist's office
- Flexibility... if you work shifts or have other commitments which make it difficult to attend a regular appointment, online counselling can offer greater flexibility
- Health or disability... if you have a health problem or a disability which makes it difficult to travel then online counselling could be a good option for you
- Personal preference... perhaps you simply feel more comfortable communicating online
Types of Online Counselling
Video (with audio and webcam)
Using Zoom enables us to see and hear each other, and is therefore similar to face to face counselling. We will be able to use non-verbal as well as verbal communication as you will be able to see my facial expressions and body language, and I will be able to see yours. This option does rely on both of us having a good internet connection and having the zoom software downloaded either on a computer, laptop, tablet or mobile phone.
You may wish to use a headset with earphones and a microphone to make it easier to hear me, and to maintain privacy.
If you would prefer to speak to me without the visual element provided by a webcam, then telephone is a good option (we can also use Zoom with the video turned off if this is more convenient - for example you may have a better connection via your wi-fi than your mobile phone network).
This is a good option for you if you prefer to communicate in writing, and if you are looking for flexibility. You can take your time to write an email about the problems you are dealing with, perhaps even drafting it in stages, and you can do this at a time which suits you. I will respond to your email at a set time each week, so you will need to be comfortable with waiting for a response. Some people find that a combination of email and video or telephone is helpful.
My Professional Qualifications and Membership for Online Counselling
I completed the Certified Cyber Therapist training with the Online Therapy Institute (OTI), and I am a member of the Association for Counselling and Therapy Online (ACTO).
To visit OTI and view their code of ethics click here.
To view my listing on the ACTO website click here.